Sunday, September 27, 2009

German Army Beerfest 2009!

Last night I went to the German Army’s annual Oktoberfest with the Döner Team. I had no idea what to expect having never been before, but apparently their Beerfest is a big event in the German community. The way it was explained to me is that in order to get tickets you have to be either a) a really big deal or b) know someone to get you on a list that will get you on another list that will get you tickets. Complicated right? After last night I can see why people covet these tickets; I have never seen so much beer and German food in one place before in my life.


We got there around the time the gates opened and there was already a line forming to get in. We found our friends, got in line and soon I was following Timo and Nicole inside where they knew the perfect place to sit. Everything was all taking place in an airplane hangar at Dulles Airport and it was soon apparent why; 2,000 people don’t easily fit into spaces smaller than airplane hangars. The German Army did a very creative job with the decorations. All the walls were draped in camouflage and there were gigantic parachutes hanging from the ceiling accented with Christmas lights and balloons.




There were two bands entertaining the beer drinking, lederhosen and dirndl wearing masses of Germans and Americans. On the left of the stage was Alte Kameraden (Old Comrades), the very same band that will be playing for our Oktoberfest next month and on the right was the German Army’s band. They flew in from Germany just for the event and another performance in DC, sightseeing all along the way. Both bands were fantastic, it was a perfect mix of traditional German oomph and tunes everyone could sing along to like Country Roads (my personal favorite).





Between all the singing, dancing and drinking, a wonderful time was had by all. Germans know how to throw a party, that’s for sure! :-) I meet all sorts of cool new people, danced with a member of the band and enjoyed myself immensely. I saw and lots of our awesome Döner customers in attendance which got me excited for our own Oktoberfest. More details about Döner Bistro’s Oktoberfest on their way!




We got there as the gates were opening and were some of the last groups to leave around midnight. I can only imagine; if this Oktoberfest was so amazing, think of how much fun our Oktoberfest will be with all our friends and neighbors! This is the start of Oktoberfest season for me, I’m going to Lovettsville’s this weekend, and I have a very good feeling that October 15th through 18th in Leesburg will be the best one yet. I hope to see you all there with steins in hand and a big appetite :-)





Prost!


~Maria

No comments: